Book Appointments for Special Collections
Thank you for your interest in the Special Collections and University Archives! To ensure social distancing, we are limiting the number of researchers in the SCUA reading room to four, and we require appointments in order to guarantee there is space available. We are currently booking appointments for UMass Amherst students, faculty, and staff only who are coming to use SCUA's collections.
Please note: due to university policy, only UMass students, faculty, and staff with a green check from the testing program can enter the Du Bois Library. Anyone who is not part of the regular testing program can get a green check if they've had a negative test within four days of their visit. For more information, visit the University's FAQs for Spring 2021 and scroll down to the section called "Student COVID Testing and Green Check Compliance."
We are open from 10-4pm, Tuesday-Friday.
Use this calendar to book an appointment. Appointments must be made at least 24-hours in advance.
- Select one of the four available tables and choose the time you would like to visit SCUA's reading room.
- When you book your appointment, use the form to supply as much information as you can about the material you would like to view. Keep in mind that we often require some advanced notice for your appointment, since our collections are stored in various locations and might need 2-3 business days to retrieve.
- Once you've booked, we will confirm your appointment or email you with any follow-up questions.
If you don't know exactly what material you'd like to use when you visit, email us with your question or topic before you book your appointment. Our archivists will be happy to work with you to find material relevant to your research and help us prepare for your visit. Archivists are always available during business hours, Monday through Friday, to provide research assistance remotely, including help with our digital collections. Email us! firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit our website for a complete listing of our collections as well as detailed finding aids.
In order to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, we are taking the following precautions:
- Face coverings are required at all times inside the Du Bois Library and in the SCUA reading room.
- All researchers will wash their hands with soap and water before using collections.
- Hand sanitizer may damage archival material; please refrain from using it immediately before handling collections.
- Only one researcher per appointment is permitted. Researchers will be separated by at least 6 feet of space and will not share tables.
- Surfaces and other high-touch areas will be cleaned by staff between appointments.
- All collections will be quarantined for 72 hours after use. This may affect availability of materials.